Lynch-Moussas 1986 - Pauillac
Slightly stained and worn label
Originally part of the Lynch-Bages estate, owned by the Franco-Irish Lynch family, Château Lynch-Moussas broke away at the start of the 19th century upon the death of Jean-Baptiste Lynch, its owner and former mayor of Bordeaux.
Château Lynch-Moussas, run by Jean-Baptiste's brother, Michel Lynch, remained in the Lynch family until 1845 when it was bought by a certain Vasquez, a Spanish wine merchant. Under the aegis of Vasquez, the estate was classified Fifth Grand Cru du Médoc in 1855. Then began a period of several decades which saw the wine decline, struck like many others by vine diseases and various economic crises and military. Taken over in 1919 by Jean Castéja, owner of Duhart-Milon and Pichon-Longueville Baron, Château Lynch-Moussas has seen no improvement, the quality of its wine no longer conforming to its classified growth status.
It was only from 1969 and the arrival at its head of Émile Castéja, who replanted the vineyard and modernized the facilities, that Château Lynch-Moussas made people talk again for the quality of its wine.
You might also like